Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Birthday Boy

He was the one who introduced the sewing machine to Tanghalang Ateneo.

He was the only one blessed to witness Candy Gonzalez in a rare display of self-awareness: “Marlon, ang pangit ko.”

He was Jaypee’s creative director when he copy-checked his Tender Care brochure and found the classic phrase: “It is a must to have!”

He used to hitch a ride with me home. Now he owns more and better vehicles than me.

He is the only friend I know who aborted his suicide attempt because, after seeing all the blood on the bathroom tiles, he realized what an unaesthetic sight it was.

He is the only one I know who has all of Aaron Kwok’s CDs.

He is the only friend I know who owns a farm. (Yup, you could say “Marlon has bought the farm.”)

He was the maestro exemplar in Basic Advertising’s AdSchool. Now he’s doing the same thing in U.P. Fine Arts. The state never had it so good.

He is the missing element of style in E.B. White’s seminal handbook.

Happy birthday, Marlon!

(Heck, today better be your birthday. I know too many Capricorns, I keep mixing your birthdates.)