Monday, January 03, 2005

Having A Blast

Happy new year, everybody!

I missed the fireworks in Makati. But celebrating New Year in Bohol is still a blast. It’s great to get away from it all. I’m getting 9-10 hrs of sleep a day. I get to drive around Bohol (my uncle lends us his L-300 or his car to get around), and I’m now so acquainted with the roads here I swear I could be a licensed tour guide if I wanted to. We get to visit resorts. We get to relax and do nothing but read and (for me) take lots of pictures. I really love Nik, his lens isn’t up to par with my (sniff) stolen Olympus but his portability and multitude of features more than make up for it. Actually it’s his portability I love the best; he fits easily in my pocket and I can whip it out anytime and click! click! and there you go. The Olympus was a lot heavier, more unwieldy. But boy, he took great shots. Aaargh, one month has passed and I still haven’t gotten completely over my stolen digicam! Heck, I didn’t mourn this long when my dad died! Then again, I never paid a big amount for my dad! Ngyek, lagyan ba ng presyo si Daddy?!

Went to have dinner at Trudis’ Place in Panglao island. It’s a small restaurant that caters to mostly foreign visitors; their servings are huge. Trust me, they’re huge. We ordered a bowl of soup each; they gave us a kaldero—each! Okay, I exaggerate, but it sure felt like it.

Panglao island is like Boracay and Puerto Galera with less people so it’s a lot more peaceful and relaxing. Less hada potential, but I suspect most of the people who go there have partners already. You wanna hook someone, you go to Boracay or Puerto Galera. Then when you have someone, you two take a vacation in Bohol. That way, there’ll be no temptations for either you or your partner. (Laguna-based people, take note! Hihihihihi!) Being away is great for me—I think I’m finally getting back my inner bitch. Actually, she never left, but she was cranky the past few months. Nowadays she just wants to be bitchy-happy.

My brother and sister are flying back tomorrow; my mom, my aunt and I will fly back on the 8th. I’ve already finished one book; I’m now plowing through another. I may need to buy a third just in case. Meanwhile, I’ve bought a notebook and pen. I’ll be writing down some episodes by long-hand (oooh, how positively primitive!) as well as designing several houses all over the province (I already “built” a grand mansion in this particular lot in our town; I’m now “building” a beach house in Panglao as well as another rest house on a hill my dad’s family owns. Yes, they actually own a hill; not quite as big as one of the Chocolate Hills, but still a hill. We want to call it “Eddie’s Hill” in honor of my uncle.)

After observing the local menfolk here, I now also blame my provincial genes for my being vertically-challenged. Gosh, Boholanos are short!

Still, it’s a great province. It’s my province, and I love it!