Thursday, December 30, 2004

Cebusy Day/s

I am now in an internet café in Cebu, the Queen City of the South. Actually I’ve seen some queens strutting their stuff here, but there are a lot more Chinese and Koreans here. Ooh, chinky-eyed fest for me!

We’re all in Ayala Mall, my mom, my aunt, my sister and brother. We kids are loving it here; I think we’re secretly whispering to ourselves, “There’s no place like home! There’s no place like home!” I don’t care if it makes us seem like mall rats; I’ll gladly wear that tag.

We arrived here yesterday via ferry and we’ve done the tourist-y things: seen Magellan’s Cross, the Taoist Temple up in Beverley Hills (where the swankiest houses are; methinks if one wants to kill off Cebu’s elite, just drop a bomb in the middle of that village), the Cathedral, Fort San Something (it’s near the pier and smaller than Fort Santiago), and of course the Lapu-Lapu shrine. There’s a huge statue of Lapu-Lapu in Pampers. At least they look like Pampers. Boy, I’m just dying to upload my pics! I’ve been shooting left and right; I’ve already filled up one memory card.

I also met up with Guile, the guitarist and songwriter of the indie group Squirrel Talk. He’s just recently been hired as copywriter for a local ad agency. He claims he’s never been to half of the places we visited yesterday. I told him we’re the tourists we’re supposed to do that. Guile is shorter than I imagined him to be, based on the pictures I’ve seen in their official website. He’ll fit right at home in Los Banos, hehehe. I guess his body’s well-proportioned, which is why he looks tall.

In a few hours we’ll be going back to Bohol. I doubt if I can find any “action” here in Cebu at such limited time, but what a challenge, eh? Hihihihi!

Meanwhile I take my previous statement back: there are some cute guys in Bohol. They’re just few and far in between. Worse, there are no cute guys in Bilar. That explains why I rarely get picked up at a bar. I’ll just blame my single-blessedness on provincial genetics.