Thursday, December 23, 2004

Pas Ko!

Christmas is just a breath away. I’m still not done with my Christmas shopping, but I’m not panicking. Yet. I already have an idea what to get those who still don’t have gifts. The Body Shop is my one-stop last resort, hehehe.

Meanwhile I’m excited for Christmas. As a kid I looked forward to the gifts I’ll receive. Nowadays I’m more excited to see how the others will react to the gifts I’m giving them. For several years already I’ve always gotten gifts I’m not particularly fond of—shirts (always not the style I’d prefer to wear), wallets (functional, but not immediately useful since I’ve already have one), CD cases (useful, but quite impersonal), car accessories (now this is more like it, but it depends on the accessory), and handkerchiefs (wow.) So I’ve learned not to expect much when it comes to receiving gifts.

What I really look forward to is the Christmas lunch we have as a family. That’s when my brother and his wife bring the kids over, and my sister brings her husband, who then pretends to have a really good time when actually he’s just enjoying the food, not really the company. Whatever. That’s his problem, not ours. I’ve bought a bottle of champagne for us to drink during our family get-together. Hubug-hubog, we’d call it.

Christmas is really for the family, and that’s why I’m looking forward to Saturday. Then we’re off to Bohol and Cebu—me, my mom, my younger brother and sister. Because finances are tight, not everyone will be able to join us. But that’s okay. I’m more interested in bringing my mom back to her hometown. Maybe this’ll help keep her preoccupied. I hope her blood pressure remains stable throughout the trip. I hope this trip will do her good.

So despite the FPJ supporters and deposed President Erap threatening to make trouble, despite the back-to-back sad/bad news we’ve been getting, despite my ever-dwindling finances, I’m looking forward to the holiday break.

To my dear viewers of The McVie Show: if home is where the heart is, then you’re at home with me this holiday season. A relaxed, peaceful Christmas and a joyful New Year to you all!