Thursday, October 21, 2004

Capt. Hooky

Tuesday I played hooky. After working out in the morning, I called in sick and went off to the mall.

I had a very relaxed late lunch. If you want affordable, no-frills steaks, go to Pancake House. I’m addicted to their tenderloin mignon, with lots of Del Monte steak sauce. Mmmm! After lunch I went to Ice Monster and had strawberry ice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yes folks, that’s the reason why I work out—so I can once in a while treat myself to Yellow Cab roasted garlic and shrimp, Big Brothers Burger with cream cheese and garlic, onions and mushroom, Dayrit’s corned beef, an occasional Nestle drumstick, and either a Champ sandwich in Jollibee or a Big Mac meal at McDonald’s.

Afterwards I bought two new books at Powerbooks. I always make it a point to have something to read during my free time, whether it’s a book or a magazine.

Then I watched for the second time the excellent House of Flying Daggers. Yes, Daniel, Zhang Ziyi rising from the snow at the end was a little too “Sadako” for some, but I “accepted” that turn of event anyway. And unlike Hero’s fight scenes, which are fun to watch again and again (which is great on DVD), Daggers’ fight scenes are not as gasp-inducing the second time around.

By the time I finished the movie it was almost 6pm. Gosh, how time flies when you’re having fun! So off I went to Malate. I’ve been a good boy for several weeks so I’d be naughty this time. But Tuesday evening isn’t exactly a happening day, so after a while I got bored. On the spur of the moment I tried to hook up with Phillip, but he was busy.

So I went home and read. The book I started reading, Michael Thomas Ford’s Looking For It, turned out to be interesting and engaging. I got so lost into it when I looked up, it was almost 2am.

Sigh. I think I want a longer break.