Monday, October 18, 2004

The Weekend That Was

I’m flipping over two brand-new songs: “Lose My Breath” by Destiny’s Child and “Vertigo” by U2. The former shows the girls back in action, cooing and crooning sexy amidst handclaps and an infectious beat. I can’t wait for the video to come out; I’m sure the girls will be jaw-dropping sexy. U2’s new song shows that these oldies can still rock out along with the younger bands of today. Rock and roll still pumps mightily in their veins. Long live rock and roll!

*****

Saturday evening found me with some of my officemates at the house of the parents of our former boss. She and her husband celebrated their tenth wedding anniversary. Since her parents’ house is in Marikina, I decided to come in 45 minutes late; even then I was the first guest to arrive at their house. It was a very relaxed dinner. It was fun talking to my former boss outside the confines of the office. I can talk to her about office stuff without us having to censor ourselves.

I brought a bottle of champagne. After finishing that off, her dad (70+ years old but still very healthy and active) brought out a bottle of grappa. For those who don’t know, grappa is the by-product of the first pressing of grapes (wine is like the third pressing or something like that, I’m not too sure). Naturally grappa is very, very potent; this one was 38% proof. Had someone cut himself that night, we could sanitize the wound. But then we saw the label on the bottle. It was written in Spanish: “grappa morbida.” Ooooooooh!

We all had a shot of grappa. We ended up talking really late; by the time we said our farewells, it was nearly 1am. I went home first (our house is just 5 minutes away) and showered before leaving the house. I was meeting my friends in Bed.

By the time I got to Malate it was already 2:45am. Bed was not too crowded, which was weird considering it was a Saturday sweldo night. I looked around; some of the “usual suspects” (regular Bed-spacers) were not there. I suspect either they’ve gotten into a relationship or they’re out of town. (Or maybe they’re at the new bar in Makati, Government.)

I met up with my friends, a couple who both work for rival networks. These two broke up a few months ago after 6 years of togetherness; I guess the notion of being single on a cold Christmas was too much for either of them. Being the third wheel, I was hoping I’d bump into Phillip, but I didn’t see him there (found out the following day he left at around 3am.)

I love to dance, but that night the music was off; I think the DJ wasn’t one of their regulars. He was playing songs that were not jumping, and his segues weren’t smooth. Still, with champagne, grappa morbida and San Mig Light buzzing my head, I was in the mood to dance ‘til the morning light. It was past 5 in the morning when we left the place.

*****

My younger brother got married in Protestant ceremonies Sunday evening. (The Catholic wedding will be done after she gives birth.)


My brother’s best man is a guy named Aeus. I think he was the schoolmate of Nelz back in grade school or high school. Nelz has the biggest crush on him; I now see why. He’s not that handsome, but he’s funny, easy-going and very trim; he’s a trainer at Fitness First in Robinson’s Metro East Mall. He’s not aware that he’s sexy, which makes him even sexier.

He dropped by the house earlier in the afternoon. I immediately texted Nelz; he asked me to take a picture of Aeus. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to take a picture of him while he was changing in my brother’s room. The door was open and I happened to see him lift his t-shirt, exposing his abs; I almost slammed into the wall near the door.

The wedding ceremony was held on the 31st floor of the Vivere Suites, Alabang. From that height, South Superhighway is a long line of moving lights and bright billboards; inside, one can look down at the 30 floors below. Acrophobic people are advised to stay away from the ledge.


The ceremony was simple, sweet and solemn, until Aeus took the mic to host the reception. He’s endearingly funny without trying to, and when he speaks he has this very slight lisp or slur, as if he grew up in the States and is not used to speaking in Tagalog. Ang cute, grabeh! I kept texting Nelz throughout the night; he was pushing me to do something. I balked; it feels so much like incest.

That night we drove him home to his place in Antipolo. Throughout the ride, he was talking about Angelica Panganiban (“yang batang yan, alam mong paglaki may libog!”), Katya Santos, and Kristin Hermosa.

Sigh. Lalaking-lalake nga siya.