Tuesday, July 13, 2004

A Traumatext Experience

Driving home from work I got a text message: Got my phone stolen last Wednesday. (I know, I know. Like with love, I’m careless with cellphones.) I'm using this number now. rsvp Evert Gandarosa. (Actually it read: got my fone stolen last wed [i knw i knw. lyk w lov, m careles w celfnes] m usin dis num nw. rsvp. Evert Gandarosa. But I hate text lingo.)

“Give me an opening and I'll—” I muttered to myself.

So I text back: Is this number temporary, like your love affairs?

Evert replied: ayyy! ang ganda ng reply! kung walang magsamantala, forever na ito.

So eager was I to think of a second whip-smart rejoinder that I barely noticed a bicycle rider had suddenly stopped in the middle of the road 30+ feet in front of me. I was hurtling towards him at nearly 70kph. We were on the Quezon Circle rotonda, in front of the City Hall.

Instantly, my heart froze, my mind kicked into high gear, my motor memory took over. My legs stepped on the brakes while my hands gripped the wheel steady, ready to turn at the slightest instant in case the car skidded. Luckily it didn’t. A noisy, painful squeal of rubber as the brakes locked. The bicycle rider heard it and, with survival-quick reflexes, bolted off his bike, dropping it on the road as he tried to jump out of my path.

I swerved away from the bicycle in time. A few inches more to my left and that bike would have been a total wreck. A few feet more to the left and I’d be charged with manslaughter.

I didn’t let my car come to a complete stop; as soon as my mind registered that I missed both rider and bike, I continued my forward momentum to prevent the vehicle at my back from smashing into me. I saw the cyclist hurriedly pick up his fallen bike and rush towards the sidewalk, away from me. I didn’t bother to go after him or curse him in public.

Only when I was driving away did I realize my heart was beating faster than usual and my legs felt weak. But I never let out a shriek or scream. I just kept quiet.

A minute later I was back to texting Evert again. But this time I was just doing 50kph.