Thursday, July 08, 2004

Bright And Light

This morning while opening our gate so I could back my car out of our garage, I suddenly noticed how bright the day was. The sky was a cheerful color; only a few tufts of white dotted the blue. And for a moment, I felt lightness burst from inside me.

I told myself: “What a wonderful morning.”

Then my brain automatically kicked in. What a blue sky. Cheerful blue. Looks like summer all over again. Great day to ride a bike along the neighborhood, just like when we were kids. Can I just drive around? What is my load for today? And that magical moment, that feeling of lightness faded. Try as I might to recapture it, the feeling was gone.

But oh for that magical moment, when I felt connected to something greater! I felt alive, happy, at peace.

Two blocks from our house, I encountered a slow-moving driver. It was exasperating. I overtook him, muttering, “Sunday driver!”

*Poof!* Back to life, back to reality.