Saturday, July 17, 2004

(Text) Message From Beyond

This just in. On the late-night news program, a report: the family of the late Rico Yan has made peace with his ex, Claudine Barretto. “I’ve waited a long, long time for this,” she said.
 
In the hallway on my way to the basement parking, I chanced upon the achors of the said news program walking out of the studio. They were talking about the abovementioned report. KD, one of the news anchors, was telling the story to her companions. 
 
“...his family received a text message—it came from Rico’s number! Yes! It was his old number, it even registered on their cellphone. It said something like, ‘Make peace with Claudine. I cannot rest in peace if you don’t.’” 
 
I looked at her while she was talking. She looked like someone who obviously relished telling the story, but it didn’t mean she believed it (I don’t think she does.) 
 
Unfortunately they turned a corner while I continued ahead. Damn, I wish Rico had texted me. I had several questions I was dying to ask the dead: 
[1] So, was it really bangungot or were there drugs involved?
[2] Was it a Talk 'N Text number Rico was using?
[3] Maybe he wanted to endorse it from the grave? As in, pasa-load for those who passed away.
[4] Does this mean Magpakailanman, the rival of Maalaala Mo Kaya, can now push through with “The Rico Yan Story”? 
 
Oh well. Let sleeping stars lie.