Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Occupational Hazard

Reading someone else’s blog re being in-or-out in the workplace, I can’t help but flashback on my early days of employment.

It was only during 4th year college that I came out to a few of my friends—well, actually just two of them. That’s how cautious I was. So in my first job at the Cultural Center of the Philippines, I decided I won’t tell my co-workers about my sexual preference. After all, why should that matter, right?

The CCP was an artistic and creative environment that’s very tolerant, nay, supportive of gays in the workplace. Our artistic director, VP for performing arts, director for theater arts, resident production designer, plus numerous artists were all proudly out (though the higher their position, the more discreet they act in front of the general public.) It was quite ironic then that I chose to be pa-mysterious in such a work environment. I remember when someone asked me why I didn’t have a girlfriend I replied I haven’t found her yet. I eventually found it tiring to always be on guard and on my toes. I got to be most of me, but part of me was always an act, a façade.

After CCP I joined a radio station. There I chose to tell my co-workers about the real me. I didn’t want the hassle of having to be on guard at all times. Thank goodness even though most of my co-workers were straight-as-rod heteros, they were very tolerant of me.

By the time I joined advertising, I made a conscious decision to be honest and “out” even with our clients. That meant if my female client said, “Ay ang cute nung male talent!” I wouldn’t hesitate to say, “Oo nga!” That meant I was free to inject the words “bongga” and “wagi” during client presentations. That meant clients thought I was uber-creative even though I was just average (hey, why not use their bias to my advantage: “gay” equals “creative/artistic”!)

Of course I was lucky to be placed in industries and companies that are creative and (to a certain degree) gay-tolerant. That is why I’ll avoid working in a bank, the military and in government for as long as I can, even though there are many pink sisters in those places.