Friday, November 05, 2004

Rise!

The screen goes black. You hear the familiar raspy air-intake. Then, voices:
“Lord Vader.”
“Yes, master.”
“Rise!”

Gasp! Gasp! And triple gasp! It’s the teaser trailer for Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith!

The trailer begins with the late Alec Guiness as Obi Wan Kenobi narrating the rise of Lord Vader. So far you see images from the different Star Wars movies that came before. So far, so good.

But in the middle of the trailer, you see the hooded figure of Anakin Skywalker; when he turns to face the camera, you see his eyes are now similar to the late Darth Maul (Episode I). After a couple of images of a volcanic planet erupting, the screen goes blank.

When I heard the voice of Ian McDiarmid (as Emperor Palpatine), I held my breath. And when that was followed by the familiar enhanced voice of James Earl Jones, my heart stopped beating for a second.

“Rise!” Then you see Darth Vader, strapped on a hydraulic lift, rising up dramatically.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

I know George Lucas isn’t a great filmmaker, and Episodes I and II were cinematic clunkers. But trailers can be edited to look more exciting and better paced than the actual films. And boy, does this trailer excite the inner Star Wars geek in me!

Log on to http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=starwars3 and see for yourself.