Friday, August 13, 2004

Waiting For Godot

(I’m writing this to pass away the time while waiting for my editor to start working on a project. I’ve been on stand-by since 11 o’clock this morning. That’s how bad our work load on a Friday can get.)

*****

“The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.” – Henry Miller

Okay, I’m aware. Of what?

Be aware that I’m alive? Isn’t that redundant? Or more exactly, isn’t it a question that repeats unto itself, like a snake eating its own tail, like a Möbius strip going on and on ad infinitum?

Or be aware that I’m aware? Then does that make me doubly alive? Or if I’m not aware that I’m aware, does that mean I’m missing half of my life?

If “to be aware” actually means “to be” or “being,” then to live is to be. But is “to be or not to be” better that “to live or not to live”?

Or is it better to say “Be and let die” instead of “Live and let die”? Or its inverse: “We were never living boring” instead of “we were never being boring”?

Is it better to say “Watch Hoobastank be!” instead of “Watch Hoobastank live!”?

Okay, I’m aware that this is getting nowhere. Gosh, I’m so alive on a Friday night!