Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Quota Of Quotes

Boy, can Morrissey still deliver the goods! Here are three samples from his latest album:

She told me she loved me / which means / she must be insane

I have forgiven Jesus / for all the desire / He placed in me when there’s nothing I can do / about desire

I’ve heard that you’ll try anything twice / Close your eyes / and think of someone / you physically admire / and let me kiss you / let me kiss you / But then you open your eyes / and you see someone you physically despise / but my heart is open / my heart is open to you

I’m in a quoting mood today because the latest Entertainment Weekly has an article by Stephen King listing the most memorable movie lines (as compiled by EW and from those sent in by the readers).

The movie with the most number of quotes mentioned is the Rob Reiner classic, The Princess Bride. It is considered The Wizard Of Oz of this generation. The lines that made it:

“Hello. My name is Iñigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

“Inconceivable!” “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

“Have fun storming the castle!”

“As you wish.” (obviously)

Surprisingly, the line that most romantic Filipinos latch on to in Jerry Maguire didn’t make the cut: “You had me at ‘hello.’” I’ve made a variation of that line, and I’m just waiting for the day I can use it. It’ll be one hell of a zinger:

“You lost me at ‘hello.’”