Friday, July 02, 2004

Warm Memories

I remember yesterday, the world was so young.

And I remember two TV commercials by La Germania stoves. One features an Italian chef, a lechon de leche and a huge Italian woman (the italicized lines are an exchange between him and his son, and a line by his wife):

CHEF:
As a chef, I wear two hats—
One at work, where I deal with gourmet,
And one at mi casa mia, where I cook for my loved ones;
In both places I have to do my best.
Papa! Si, I know.
At work or at home I use only the best.
I use La Germania.
Because only La Germania gives me the best.
And for you Mama Mia, the best!
Salvatore!
With my La Germania, no problema!

The other one is a jingle-based TVC. I do not remember the visuals anymore, but I cannot get the jingle out of my head:

JINGLE:
La Germania generates love,
Generates cooking that generates love.
La Germania generates joy,
Generates cooking that generates love.
La Germania generates love!

Incidentally our stove is an old La Germania model. It still has the “Generates Love” heart-shaped sticker on the oven door.

Another TV commercial I remember is the one for Technogas stoves. It is a jingle-based commercial which features prominent female celebrities, including a very young Isabel Granada in thick-eyebrow glory, dancing and posing amidst gas stoves while holding tacky cardboard stars wrapped in cheap tinfoil.

JINGLE:
All the women love the Technogas technique!
You name it, we have it,
The Technogas technique!
You cook it, you’ll love it,
The Technogas technique!
You bump* it, it can take it,
The Technogas technique!
All the women love the Technogas technique!
(*At this point you see the sexy ass of a model “bump” the side of the stove in a very provocative manner.)

One gets the full range of Technogas ranges, its usage and its durability all in a span of 30 seconds. It also repeats the product USP and bandwagon endorsement again and again.

Later on they made a Taglish version. I think it featured Rod Navarro, but I’m not sure now. I only remember one line from that jingle: “O ang Technogas ay techno-fantastic!”