Monday, June 28, 2004

Scenes Saturday

Passed by Leigh’s before dinner for a short, wonderful chat. Finished one-third of her sinfully creamy Oreo Cheesecake. She interpreted what the runes said about my lovelife—I’m to maintain this holding-pattern for the moment. That suited me just fine.

Headed to Megamall to meet Kervs and Patrick. Patrick is Kervs’ friend and the object of his advice—he’s been playing mother hen to Patrick for the past few days. Patrick is beautiful in a little-boy-cute way. He’s exactly the type who, upon entering a place like Bed, all the men would look at him from head-to-foot and whisper under their breath: “Fresh meat… yummy.” Tell Patrick he’s cute and he’ll deny it. It’s a conundrum people with a cute face face: if they deny it, they look insincere; if they flaunt it, they’re so full of themselves.

Headed to Malate to meet Nelz. He saw Norman off at the airport that afternoon, so I wanted to see him post-departure, post-separation.

Malate at around 9:30pm: not too many people yet, so it was easy to get a place at any bar. We hung out at Komiks Café. A slight drizzle forced us inside, which limited Patrick’s chances of eyeballing and being eyeballed by gorgeous men. Tough luck boy, you’re with oldies.

Nelz arrived with Olive and Daniel. She wore a shiny-shimmering-splendid outfit that she shook to show off. I thought she was shaking her bosoms at me as a form of greeting so I said, “I can’t top that!” and shook her hand instead.

Nelz looked distracted, which is as it should be. It would be interesting to talk to him a few days into the week, when he’s back at work for several days already. After two weeks of heaven it’ll take him some time to adjust being back on earth and having both feet on the ground.

Meanwhile, we oldies helped Patrick with his current apple-of-his-eye, a guy named Ponz. They EB’d in LB but now he’s in QC. Kervs lent Patrick his phone so he could contact Ponz; I offered to drive. So off we went on an errand of mercy to pick up Ponz in Anonas.

On the way there Patrick kept raving about Ponz. When we finally got to meet him, Ponz turned out to be quite the looker Patrick described him to be. Two gorgeous guys at the back of my car: a perfect set-up for a g-film.

Back in Malate by midnight: the irrepressible host John “Sweet” Lapus was onstage wearing fairy wings and screaming: “Andami-daming mga bakla!” (“So many faggots!”) He was greeted by an approving roar and clapping from the faggots. “All you faggots here, clap your hands!” Thundering applause. “Lesbians, clap your hands!” Another thunderous applause, but less. “All you straight guys here, clap your hands!” A smattering of applause. John’s zinger was swift: “You hypocrites!”

We met up with Nelz and company at Café Adriatico. Then we headed back to the street party, which by this time was now a full-blown dance bacchanalia: hunky topless men in flimsy white pants gyrating onstage while the men below danced and ogled them.

Lost Kervs and the two kids in the crowd. But it was easy for Kervs and I to find each other via SMS; the two, unfortunately, didn’t have fully-functioning phones. We ended up searching for them for most part of an hour—we had to because they were hitching a ride with us back to LB after the party. So I told Kervs, “Just leave a text message, and let’s just chill out in Café Adriatico.”

Relaxing with Kervs in the Café, I thought, this is how like to spend my time—connecting with friends. But part of me also wanted to dance the night away back at the street party, connecting to a larger sisterhood. Yet Responsible Me was telling myself, “Stay put. It’ll be easier for the two kids to track us down if Kervs and I stay put.” True enough, they eventually found us. But Ponz still wanted to party some more. I felt like a mother with a daughter pleading, “But Mom! The party’s just starting!” Well, the night belonged to the young ‘uns. So I told them, “Okay. One more hour.”

So Kervs and I ended up sharing halo-halo and potato chips while playing mom-and-dad to two kids who wanted to party that night.

On the way to LB with Patrick and Ponz in the backseat, I was trying to stay awake while driving. Kervs couldn’t keep his hand to himself. He kept holding my hand and caressing my thigh; I kept pushing him off. “The kids are at the back!” I wanted to say.

By the time we got to LB, it was already daylight. Patrick went with Ponz to his dorm. When I entered Kervs’ room, I immediately changed to shorts. Kervs got his huge hotdog-pillow off the bed. A minute later we were both fast asleep.