Friday, June 25, 2004

Cuz This Is Trailer! Trailer Night! (Wooo!)

The perks of being a manager: my computer can download certain stuff other computers in the office cannot, like movie trailers on Apple.com.

Lemony Snicket’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events looks great, with Jim Carrey playing Count Olaf. I’m a big fan of this series of children’s books, because it does not talk down to kids. That’s why it’s also a hit among adults. The movie’s production design is gorgeous! And the quick sight of Meryl Streep in this not-just-for-kids movie made my heart pound faster. Definitely something I wouldn’t miss.

Another trailer that got me interested: AVP (Alien vs. Predator). The sight of two of the most recognizable and ferocious outer-space creatures in cinema going alien-to-alien has awaked the inner sci-fi geek in me.

Speaking of sci-fi, the trailer for I, Robot left me cold. Will Smith’s latest looks like they made Isaac Asimov’s cautionary tale into an effects-heavy man-versus-machine action movie.

One of my movie guilty pleasures is J-Lo’s Anaconda. It is actually a fun, no-brainer movie with a lot of over-acting by Jon Voight, a lot of big-butt acting by J-Lo, and not much acting by Eric Stoltz. It made a lot of money and helped propel the career of Jenny From The Block into Bennifer-dom. So it comes as no surprise that there’s now a follow-up movie, Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid. The premise is simple: another band of outsiders go up the Amazon River in search for a rare orchid and stumbles upon, what a surprise, more and bigger anacondas! Plus it’s mating season so there’s even a snake orgy scene.

A curious trailer is Constantine. Based on the Vertigo character, this Warner Bros. movie stars Keanu Reeves as the title character and Rachel Weisz (from The Mummy and The Mummy Returns and The Mummy Revolutions... oops, wrong franchise.) Somehow, I cannot wrap around my mind the thought of Keanu playing “a man who lives between heaven and hell,” according to the official website. Then again he played Ted whose excellent adventure brought him face-to-face with God and Death, so I suppose he qualifies.

If you’re as lucky as I am to have high-speed internet connection, watch those trailers on www.apple.com/trailers.