Thursday, July 22, 2004

Happiness Is…

In the latest issue of Newsweek, a special report stated that in a World Value Survey, the happiest people in the world live in Nigeria, a volatile, poverty-stricken country. It explained that there are two major factors which influence happiness: satisfying relationships and community trust. Thus, there are cases wherein disasters, natural or man-made, can help promote good feelings in a people—a crisis forces “potential relationships” to develop. Thus Nigerians may “live in harsh circumstances (but they) nonetheless experience joie de vivre.”

Hmmm.

Well, I am in several satisfying relationships. Chief of them are with my family who, despite me not coming out to them, I know they love me and I love them in return. They actually are my main source of stability and sanity. I also have my different circle of friends whom I can count on: friends from way back grade and high school, college and after-college friends, and friends from work. They say variety is the spice of life; my different sets of friends help keep my snap, crackle and pop. And in my work community, I enjoy the relative trust and respect of my colleagues. (Relative because you’re only as good as your last work.)

So I should be happy, right? Truthfully I am and not. I am because I’m in a good place right now; and because I choose to be happy. I’m not because there’s always something more to aspire for. Today equals happiness; tomorrow equals discontent with today.

Maybe I should change my attitude: be happy for today, and be excited about the future. Accept today, embrace tomorrow.

Or maybe I should just migrate to Nigeria.

Happiness is… (in no particular order):
• playing Zuma! Wheee! It’s my latest computer game fixation!
• Big Brothers Burger with cream cheese and garlic, onions and mushrooms
• Yellow Cab roasted garlic and shrimp pizza
• a full tank of gas and the day just wide open in front of me
• dancing; just giving in to the groove
• soft, fluffy marshmallows
Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys
• the scent of frying garlic
• nonsensical giggle-fest with friends
• “Who’s our teacher nga? You wanna sign up? Is this the way to the lib?” guy in the Rexona tvc
• going out with my mom, brothers and sister
• Zsazsa Zaturnah!
• seeing the latest Entertainment Weekly magazine issue on the newsstand
• the sight of gorgeous male bodies (tight abs, defined pecs, muscular shoulders, etc); fondling them would catapult me from happiness into joy, or better yet, ecstacy
This Is Spinal Tap, The Princess Bride, Clueless and most recently, Zoolander

I will add more as I remember them.