Monday, June 14, 2004

Weekend Joys

Spent the weekend in LB, first hanging out with Kervs on Saturday then hooking up with his friend Ipe on Sunday. Ipe is dark skinned but his face lights up at the smallest excuse. Like most creative people I know, he jumps from interest to interest, sometimes at the same time. He is a jack-of-many-trades, mastering them all—his current incarnation is hairstylist/stained glass window maker/wall-climber. I’m sure his wall-climbing skills will come in handy when putting up stained glass church windows featuring well-coiffed saints. (Just once I’d love to see a crucified Jesus with a shampoo-commercial perfect hair shot, with Mama Mary and Magdalene looking up at Him, with shiny, flowing locks instead of those silly veils and headdresses. But I digress.)

I tend to gravitate towards certain people because of their joie de vive. Ipe can enjoy 5 bottles of beer on a Sunday afternoon and then conspire with Kervs to whip up a mean dinner after and still manage to gasp in awe and cower in suspense while watching Spirited Away for a second time. He promised he can style my hair. Now, that’s a dream I’ve never achieved for 38 long years. If Ipe can do the unlikely, I'll call it the Iper Cut.

Kervs said he wanted more gay friends around him. Ipe is a welcome ingredient in his mix of friends, which also include a fair share amount of straights. Boy, girl, bakla, tomboy so goes the children’s chant. Friends can be of any form and persuasion, so long as they are true to you and let you remain true to yourself.