Tuesday, June 15, 2004

And It’s Only Tuesday

There’s a party going on right here, a celebration to last… well, I hope for the last time. It is our vice president’s last day, and in her honor they’ve put up a videoke machine right in the middle of the office.

Ugh.

Okay, I will admit to a secret fantasy—I’ve always imagined me being the lead singer of a band, performing in front of a rapturous crowd. In fact I already thought of a pitch for a movie: a rabid Beatles fan travels back in time to just before the Beatles form. He meets up with John & Paul and convinces them to form a band. He becomes the fifth Beatle, and he “steals” songs from John and Paul by “composing” such classics as Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, A Day In The Life and other groundbreaking songs. Both Yoko and Linda fight over him. In his boredom he also starts “composing” Stairway To Heaven, Tainted Love and Billie Jean. In the end he survives a murder attempt by Mark David Chapman by shoving Yoko (yes, she succeeds in hooking him) a bit to the left.

But let’s go back to the present—someone just finished singing Bituwing Walang Ningning (A Star Without Sparkle), and she could not hit the high notes. Now it’s Hopelessly Devoted To You, and the woman singing in a thick Visayan accent is crying because our boss is leaving. But she still manages in between sobs to pull off the “But now / there’s nowhere to hide / since you pushed my love aside…” part. She’s singing “huplis(sniff)lee (sniff)deevoted to (sniff)yu.”

I decide to go into the conference room, where the remnants of the pritson (piniritong letson, or fried “roasted” pig) are getting cold. Still, free dinner always tastes great.

Someone is now singing the Village People classic, YMCA.

As much as I want to go out and watch Dawn Of The Dead, I still have work pending. Tomorrow the Pink Film Festival opens at Megamall, but I cannot catch the 6pm showing because I have a 7pm brainstorming. The opening film is about the local gay internet scene featuring several pretty Filipino actors, directed by a Brit.

The familiar piano opening of I Will Survive is now playing. My gay officemate is belting out, “At first I was afraid / I was petrified…!”

Oh well… who needs the Pink Festival?

Where’s the weekend when you need it?