Thursday, December 09, 2004

Hospital Humor

Depeche Mode was right; God does have a sick sense of humor. (In a deep booming celestial voice) “Can’t find anything to blog eh, McVie?” He said.

So this morning my mom woke me up really early and asked me to bring her pronto to St. Luke’s. Her blood pressure had been steadily increasing that morning and now she was dizzy.

So we went to the ER where she was placed under observation, her blood pressure taken every half hour. It was fluctuating up and down, ping-ponging between too high and too low. My mom fell asleep, so I decided to shut my eyes too. Above the usual noise and bustle in the ER I could hear the public address system.

“Pedia resident, phone call.”

“Dr. Reyes, to the nurses’ station pls.”

“X-ray Ted, phone call, billings section pls.”

That woke me up. There’s an x-rated phone call in the billings section of St. Luke’s? At 9:30 in the morning?

It took me a full second more to realize exactly what I just heard.

Sigh. I decided to go out and look for the nearest internet café.