Saturday, November 27, 2004

MISS GAY MARIKINA, JAN. 2, 2000

The following is something I posted on the bulletin board of the TA website way back Jan. 6, 2000. Nahalungkat ko lang ang nakaraan.

Onstage, the banner read, “Unang hirit sa bagong milenyo: Miss Gay Millennium and Group Dance Contest.” I thought, aba, kauumpisa pa lang ng milenyo, may Miss Gay for the whole millenium na!

Talent portion—a contestant speaks before his number: “Kami pong nasa ikatlong kasarian ay madalas inaalipusta at inaapi dahil sa hindi pagunawa sa amin. Kaya ko po idini-dedicate ang kantang ‘to para po sana mamulat ang mga isipan ng mga tao....”

And then he starts singing a capella: “So many nights, I sit by my window, waiting for someone to sing me his song....” He procedes to finish singing You Light Up My Life habang kami sa audience ay tulala: “Ano’ng connect ng song sa speech niya?!”

As usual, may kumakain ng apoy while dancing to the tune of “I Need A Hero” by Bonnie Tyler (a perennial favorite among fire-eaters) at may extemporaneous speech in English that’s full of subject-verb disagreements, nakaka-tense na tenses, at mispronunciations: “My God- (dramatic pause) given talents is different from the udders. I will not sing, I will not dunce, I will not uckt! Instead, I will a-temp to do an extemporaneous speaking, ladies and gentlemen!”

The rest sang, danced and acted; almost all sucked.

Don’t miss the Miss Gay Marikina (especially the talent protion and Q&A) next year!