Monday, August 02, 2004

Le Free C’est Chic!

It’s amazing, this thing called freedom.

Thanks to Ipe, I have more freedom to play around with my hair. After 38 years of seeing my hair done the same way over and over again, I’m now beginning to embrace my curls and discovering the joys of hair products.

After a hectic work-week, the weekend looms like a welcome respite. So I guard my weekends jealously because that’s my free time: I’m free to do what I want any old time.

Friday work didn’t end until Saturday morning at around 3, so I swore I was going to enjoy my weekend. Woke up in time for lunch; afterwards we watched Whale Rider on DVD (Daniel/la let it to me weeks ago but I completely forgot I had it. Now I can return it.) Then I went to the gym. Dinnertime I picked up Leigh and off we went to Café Britton in The Podium where we had our favorite crepe, the Vesuve (extra spicy!) After dropping her off, I proceeded to the RCBC Theater to watch A Midsummer Night’s Dream again—I promised the alternate cast I’d catch their performance. I was all alone on the second row from the stage; I made sure I wore a shirt with loud prints so that they can immediately spot me. Afterwards backstage they were telling me how the cast found it a bit unnerving seeing me in the audience. Hahaha!

By the time the play ended it was past midnight; time for me to go to Bed. In the past few weeks I’ve been Bed-ding I re-discovered my love for electronic and dance music. In Bed I also re-discovered the joys of dancing. Surrendering to the rhythm and the beat, you let go and set your spirit free. It’s exhilarating and burns calories to boot. And with men grinding around you (and sometimes grinding your behind!) it’s more fun than any aerobics class.

But my Bed-time this weekend was extra eventful: a female officemate of mine who decided to join us that night bumped into her ex-boyfriend (also an officemate of ours but in another division.) They have not spoken to each other ever since he broke up with her a few months ago. In the middle of the dance floor he looked at her in shock and said, “Yes, I’m gay.” Then he hugged her and cried. Afterwards outside Bed he was seen crying and berating our other officemate (who’s gay) for bringing his ex there. He was heard shouting, “Do I have to choose between her and being gay?!” and “But I loved her!” What an excuse to become a drama queen for the night.

Sunday lunch time found me at home. My family is what keeps me grounded and sane; I especially like it when we’re complete at the table. They’re my spiritual charger.

But enough spiritual charging; there’s still sexual charging to be done. So in the afternoon I charged to the bath house. That’s a place where one is free to just have safe sex (a must!) without emotional complications. This afternoon I met a guy who’s a rarity in a place like that; he preferred to cuddle and kiss instead of doing the nasty. Awww, how sweet. And as any advertising guy will tell you, he who stands out sticks into your head. So I stuck it in him after he gave me head. Ooh! Afterwards he asked for my number; he wanted to see me again. Normally I don’t give it, or I give a false one. But because he was extra sweet and extra hunky and stood out, I fell into the advertising trap. Then I hurriedly left so that I can catch the 9pm screening of Imelda in Greenbelt.

While having dinner at Chili’s Greenbelt, I received a text message from Mr. Cuddle Hunk: Asan u? Immediately, warning lights flashed before my eyes. I replied: On my way to watch Imelda. And you? His reply: Andto me sa labas. San ka watch. Sama ako. “Andto me?!” Code red! Code red! I replied: I’m not sure where in Makati it’s showing. I’ll just text you when I find out. He texted back: Next time nalang pauwi na me kc. Take care. Kaya answer na me in full Tupperware glory: Awww. That’s okay. Found out last full show at 9pm so late na rin. Sige next time. Smiley face.

Oh yes, before I forget—I also just received my variable pay. It’s basically a bonus, but with so many variables that factor into determining the amount (depends on individual and divisional performance ratings, budget savings, etc.) the company refuses to call it a “bonus.” The var-pay gave me the financial freedom to do something I’ve not done in months: impulse buy! (A mantra I recently embraced: “When in doubt, shop.”)

So before watching the excellent documentary (recommended viewing for all Filipinos; watch out for her surreal explanation involving the true, good and beautiful, binary ones-and-zeroes, and Apple computers), I swung by MusicOne where, without thinking twice, I snapped up the DVD of the classic Sunset Boulevard and two electronica/dance albums, Underworld’s 1992-2002 and The Crystal Method’s Legion of Boom.

And ending the weekend on a very happy note, I just received my cellphone billing. My jaw dropped when I saw the amount: Php950.85! Wow. For the first time in more than a year my bill was less than a thousand pesos.

Let freedom ring!