Monday, February 21, 2005

Saturday, God Was Very Busy

I was asked to DJ a cast party last Saturday evening. The last time I DJ-ed was at the TARUGO (Tanghalang Ateneo Reunion, U Go!) party last December; before that, it was many years ago since I last played music at a party. So my skills were quite rusty then; naka-apat na sablay ako that night. So when I was asked to be Mr. DJ last Saturday, I accepted because that gave me a chance to redeem myself. In total fairness to me iisa lang ang sablay ko, at hindi pa teknikal (meaning sablay sa pag-press ng play, o pag-cue ng music). I chose the wrong song, thinking kakagatin ito ng mga bagets. Eh wiz type pala nila, kaya flop! Most of them cleared the dance area, although may isa o dalawa na umattempt na patulan ang kanta (hindi ko na sasabihin kung anong song, nakakahiya eh). But aside from that, patok ang mga choices ko of songs to play.

The kids grew up with the music of Spice Girls, early Britney, even Steps’ “5,6,7,8”. So ang saya-saya dahil na-retro sila sa mga yun. They were also into the latest R&B hits (like Usher and Ciara).

In the midst of all this, while I was “in the zone” and had the crowd lapping up each and every song, I received a text message from Phillip. He and Zeki were in Government. Shit! I couldn’t just leave the party; if I do, it dies.

Only then did I realize the truth behind the song: God is a DJ.

Still, I managed to meet up with them in Government. O say! Isingit sa sked ang lahat ng puwedeng maisingit. Ako si Mr. Singit. Phillip was blissfully buzzed. Zeki was… actually, I don’t know if he was bored or he was already contented with watching the people on the dance floor. Basta he looked cool in his black shirt. Anyway, it was my chance to dance—biro mo, I was at a party and the whole time I couldn’t really dance kasi busy-busy-han ang lola. Kaya dance ako sa Government! That is, after I quickly downed two glasses of vodka tonic—I needed the buzz kasi. At the cast party I was drinking beer, but intermittently. (One really needs to focus on the job at hand, otherwise sasablay.) So I didn’t even have a buzz when I got to Makati.

Properly buzzed, dance-kiti-dance ako.

After a while I noticed Zeki was alone. Where was Phillip? Nagpapaka-Good Samaritan upstairs. Well, maybe more of a Good-but-with-a-hidden-agenda Samaritan. Basta it involved a very drunk guy wearing white sando and jeans. How drunk was the sando guy? He told Phillip he was alone, but later on he wanted to find his friend. Hmmm… akala ko ba alone siya? Then again, maybe it was Phillip who was the really drunk one, and had his stories crossed.

Heniwey, mabuti na lang at nakaka-drive pa si Phillip pauwi without endangering Zeki and his car Amanda.

On my way home, I dropped by the cast party. Only a few people were still up, singing songs. The others were scattered all over the house, asleep. From the pairings and positioning of the people snoozing, one can tell who was interested in whom. Ah, kids! Ang saya.