Thursday, February 10, 2005

McInfluential Music Acts 2

McVie’s Top 10 Most Influential Music Acts: Solo

I had a harder time listing this group. I guess I’m more of a team-player than a soloist.

[10] Ricky Martin
Okay, so I’m not a major fan of all of his songs. But the ones I like, I like a lot. Mr. Shaved Armpits helped me to not be embarrassed in liking dance songs with Spanish lyrics (like “Macarena”, hahaha!) Quintessential favorites: Maria, She Bangs, The Cup Of Life

[9] George Michael
Even when he was still with Andrew Ridgley, I knew Georgie was Wham! I also knew that he was with my team. I actually liked his solo efforts, especially the danceable ones, more than his Wham! hits. His songs are soulful and heartfelt (sometimes too much though). Quintessential favorites: Praying For Time, Freedom 90, Killer/Papa Was A Rolling Stone

[8] Alanis Morissette
Some of my personal anthems about love and relationships are from her breakthrough first album. She helped me go through some rough times dealing with (often) unrequited emotions. Even if she only released one album, that would have been enough. Quintessential favorites: Hand In My Pocket, You Learn, Thank U

[7] Barry Manilow
Hahaha, my age is showing! He was my favorite male artist back when I was in grade school. I remember almost crying when I heard “Ships”. And “Copacabana” was a huge hit with all of us. I could take even his ballads. These days his songs have this kitschy appeal. Quintessential favorites: Mandy, Weekend In New England, Read ‘Em And Weep

[6] Andrew Lloyd Webber
Technically, he’s not a solo act. But he writes the songs that make the whole theater world sing. And his tunes go beyond the stage; they enter not just pop charts but also the pop consciousness of people who don’t even know what an overture is. His songs are so pop yet so theatrical and dramatic they are my musical equivalent of comfort food. Quintessential favorites: Anything But Lonely, Memory, Tell Me On A Sunday

[5] Sting
After being the head Police-man for several years, Sting embarked on a solo career that was more successful than his acting career. He continued to write whip-smart lyrics, but flexed his musical muscles beyond the simple 3-chords-and-the-truth mentality of rock and roll. He incorporated jazz into his pop songs, and his music became as witty as his lyrics. Quintessential favorites: Fields Of Gold, When We Danced, They Dance Alone (Cueca Solo)

[4] Janet Jackson
Miss Jackson (because I’m nasty) certainly made very hip, danceable songs, and her choreography broke the usual dance mold during that time. Whenever I’d DJ at a party, I always play a Janet Jackson song or two. But then she became nastier, and while her sound became increasingly irrelevant, she decided to take a page off her brother’s “Controversy as a Career Move” book and showed her boobie at the Super Bowl. The rest of her career is, pun intended, a bust. Quintessential favorites: Nasty, Love Would Never Do (Without You), Throb

[3] Prince
His Royal Purpleness, TAFKAP, the glyph symbol… what’s in a name? That which we call the Royal Purple Comeback would still make music that’s sweet. Prince wowed me with music that was controversial, feral, oozing with sex and danger—the perfect anti-Michael during the 80s. Now he’s this very stable, happily-married man while Wacko Jacko is, well, wacko. Talk about role reversal. Quintessential favorites: 1999, When Doves Cry, Kiss

[2] Michael Jackson
Okay, so he may be wacko, but no one can deny the cultural impact he made during his reign as King of Pop. Heck, I wanted to have curls like his! I wore white socks! I wanted the multi-zipper red jacket! But I stopped at the sequined gloves. Meanwhile, his songs and videos are forever etched in my mind. He’s a genuine thriller in more ways than the one involving little boys. Quintessential favorites: Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’, The Way You Make Me Feel, Remember The Time

[1] Madonna
Hello, obvious ba? Gay icon. She made an art out of self-promotion and reinvention. And her music ain’t that bad too. She was a genius in picking the right people to work with on her albums and videos. Too bad she had lousy instincts when it came to her acting. Heck, can’t win ‘em all. Nobody’s perfect. Quintessential favorites: too many to mention

Runners-up (in alphabetical order):
k.d. lang – Thanks to her album “Ingénue” she merits a special mention in my list. Her song cycle of love found and lost is a treasure chest of anthems for every stage of a relationship. No wasted track.
Barbra Streisand – I’m actually a fan of her “Broadway Album”. That album alone has songs that I’ve used one time or another as my “song for the moment”. And aside from possessing some of the best pipes in the business, she has impeccable phrasing. They don’t sing ‘em like they used to.