Monday, February 28, 2005

“And the Oscar goes to…”

It’s Oscar Day today. Most gays look forward to two specials every year—the Miss Universe pageant and the Academy Awards. More look forward to the former for obvious reasons, but the Oscars are in a way also a beauty pageant (the dresses! the outfits!) of massive Hollywood scale. I can totally skip the Miss U telecast (my gay genes are warped that way), but I just have to watch the major categories of the Oscars. It’s the speeches.

Thanks to Oscar.com, I can take time out and skip certain portions of the telecast. Still, I enjoy watching two commercials over and over during the telecast: Pepsi’s new one starring Jericho Rosales (ang cute ni Echo! ang cute ng TVC!) and Nicole Kidman’s Chanel No. 5 TVC. This is the time of the year when Channel 9 earns the most via sponsors, kaya pagbigyan na nga!

* * * * *

Funny thing is I haven’t watched any of the five Best Picture nominees. The Aviator is still showing. Million Dollar Baby (the Best Picture winner this year) will open March 2. Finding Neverland and Ray are coming soon. Sideways typically came and went after, uhm, two(?) days. For some weird reason, this year’s batch doesn’t excite me as much. None of the frontrunners are as buzz-worthy as, say, any of the Lord of the Rings movies or even Titanic. Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to sneak out once in a while this week. At least it looks like the Oscar win of Clint Eastwood’s movie will help keep it in the theaters for a longer period than Sideways.