Friday, January 21, 2005

Hearts Attack

Oh my god, I just saw a Happy Valentine’s TV commercial from Close-Up!

More than Christmas, Valentine’s is the holiday which elicits ambivalent feelings from me. I have been single all my life, so I’ve never had a chance to celebrate that day with a “special someone.” Yeah right, like the guy’s a retard. But there’ll be a wave, nay, a tsunami of ads with hearts leading up to Feb. 14. It’ll be a vicious hearts attack; often those ads make me feel like I should just stay in bed on that day.

Back in grade school our teachers at an all-boys catholic school had us make Valentine’s cards to our parents. At a certain grade level they stopped, maybe out of fear we might start giving cards to our fellow classmates instead. Since then I’ve never given a Valentine’s card to anyone. Hallmark must not like me that much.

Last year we single “girls” opted to have a group date on that day to stave off any “woe-is-me-I-don’t-have-a-date-this-Valentine’s” feelings. We planned to go to Malate and make fun of people wearing red. Well, it turned out to be an, ahem, eventful night for all four of us. The couplings which started that day have since dissolved even before 2004 ended.

This year I might just stick with making fun of people in red. Or… I could be magnanimous and mature about the incoming Day of Flowers, Chocolates, and Crowded Motels.

I think I’ll just give my mom a Valentine’s card on that day.

Advanced Happy Valentine’s to all!