Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Iskul Bukol

I am a true blue blooded one, having studied in the same school from prep to college. But for the life of me I cannot get my mouth to spew the words “I love Ateneo” anymore than I can say “I hate La Salle.” The two statements (and their opposite counterparts, i.e. “I love La Salle” and “I hate Ateneo”) are opposite sides of the same coin, and that coin is sadly out of currency. Those who say them with conviction are just a few steps away from “Gays are pedophiles,” “Muslims are terrorists,” and “Pink is the new black” statements. Hearing such statements have the same effect on me as being knocked on the head with a university seal.

I’ve seen such intensity during UAAP games, which is another reason why I detest basketball. Members from either school show such blind devotion to their alma mater you’d think their school is the Mafia or the Templars or the Judy Ann Santos Forever Fans Club. Well, I’ve been in the same school for 16 years, and honey, it ain’t flawless. And I’m sure the other schools have skeletons in their lockers too.

If ever I had a kid (though that is as likely as seeing a wooly mammoth running around EDSA) I’d prefer he experiences different schools. That is, if he wants to. But as a parent, I’m all for encouraging a multi-mater alumnus. Maybe if everyone did that then eventually there won’t be a UAAP anymore. And no more silly Ateneo/La Salle/UP/AMA Computer College jokes either.