Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Houston, We Have A Soundtrack


Brought Whitney Houston’s Greatest Hits double CD to the office. Putah, ang saya-saya palang patugtugin yung disc two, the one with dance remixes! Napapaindak ako sa aking upuan! Great thing I can dance seated and my two officemates in the cubicles beside mine don’t mind it. In fact, they find it really funny.

As I’m typing this Lola Whitney is belting out “There’s no more tears left here for you to see!” and “You were making a foooool of meeeee-hiii-heeeee, oooooooohhhh-wwwwwwwooooooo-wwwwwoooooo-wwwwooohhhhh!” in the Thunderpuss Mix of It’s Not Right But It’s Okay. As in belt out ka diyan, Lola Whitney! Whoooo-hooo! Sundan mo pa ng My Love Is Your Love, Heartbreak Hotel at I’m Every Woman tapos paandaran mo ng Hex Hector Mix ng I Will Always Love You… ay grabeh na itooo!

I’m not a big fan of black belters. Make that African-American belters. Or for that matter even half-Latino belters (that’s you, Mariah!) and Pinoy belters (I’m sorry Regine, Sarah and the rest). When they start sustaining their screeches and scaling up and down the octaves, they and their ilk irk me. But for some strange reason, I can now tolerate some of Whitney’s vocal calisthenics, especially in songs that show her strong, palaban side. Maybe her difficult and rough relationship with Bobby Brown gave those songs some additional heft. Whatever.

Ay basta, ang bakla ng soundtrack ko today. Yun lang.