Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Movie One-liners

“Get away from her, you bitch!”

That is the classic one-liner in Aliens, directed by James Cameron before he discovered he was the king of the world. He also directed Terminator, which gave moviedom another classic one-liner delivered by Ahnold: “I’ll be back.”

Big action summer flicks in the late 80s and early 90s had to have a memorable one-liner. Some samples:
“Yipee-ka-yay, motherfucker!” (Die Hard)
“ET, phone home.” (E.T. The Extra-terrestial)
“Stay out of trouble.” (Robocop)
“This town needs an enema!” (Batman)
“I am your father!” (The Empire Strikes Back)
“Wax on, wax off.” (The Karate Kid)
“You are one ugly motherf**ker!” (Predator)
“Snakes—why did it have to be snakes?” (Raiders Of The Lost Ark)
“I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen.” (Say Anything)

But my favorite one-liner is still the quote mentioned above, spoken by Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley. With the alien queen threatening the child Newt, Ripley ducks into a loading dock. Then the bay doors open to reveal Ripley on a mechanical loader, ready to take on the creature mano-a-monster. Camera tilts up, then zoom in on Ripley’s face, and she utters that priceless line. I remember cheering in the moviehouse when I saw that scene for the first time.

What are your favorite movie one-liners?