Friday, May 28, 2004

Rhythm of the City Hit Back!

On Fridays 99.5RT FM plays the old hits. I especially like it when they play certain songs that only RT played before, hard-to-find songs that I always associate with the FM station I grew up with.

The following are some RT classics which I’m dying to get a copy on CD.

[1] Give Me Back My Heart by Dollar
I think this is a great break-up song. Certain ex-lovers would do well to listen to the lyrics:
I feel so silly when I tell you
I gave you all I had
Seems so empty when I say that I love you
But now I can see you were not for me...
So give me back my heart
That's all I have to live for
Give me back my heart
That's all I had to give you.
I know I'll never be in love
No I'll never be in love again.
There were so many times you whispered
(I miss you so I miss you so)
You always said you cared
I never knew that you could be so far away
But now I can see you were not for me...


[2] It’s My Party And I’ll Cry If I Want To by Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin
The one RT played is a remake of a Leslie Gore original. Barbara Gaskin provided the vocals while Dave Stewart (who eventually will form the Eurythmics with Annie Lennox) did the instrumentation. I liked how he rearranged the song and made it more desperate yet fun. I especially liked how the song opened with her singing over and over:
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to…


[3] The Lion Sleeps Tonight by Tight Fit
This 1939 African pop hit has many remakes. The most famous is a 1961 cover by The Tokens. But the 1982 version by Tight Fit is the one I fell in love with when they played it over RT.

Haaay! Ang tanda ko na.