Tuesday, March 29, 2005

DJ Culture

Driving home last night while listening to Fatboy Slim’s album Live On Brighton Beach got me thinking. (I do some of my best thinking behind the wheel. I’m amazed I haven’t hit anyone or anything yet.) The album is a recording of Fatboy Slim’s set in front of a huge rave crowd. The producers wisely inserted some of the ambient live sounds of the crowd cheering at certain points during the set. And I thought, what awesome power a DJ can have over a huge number of people at one time! No wonder they say that God is a DJ.

And I looked back at my attempts at DJ-ing in TA parties. And what I realized is this: it’s not about power (TA parties rarely have more than 50 people in attendance), but about responsibility. Whenever I start spinning, I am keenly aware that the life of the party is in my hands—and in my extensive CD collection. What I remember most vividly is the whoop! of the crowd when I start playing a big dance hit. There were times when I’d look at the crowd having fun, couples dancing together, bodies entwined, people flirting with one another. And a wave of self-pity would descend on me: “Damn, how about me? How can I have fun when I’m panicking over what song to play next?” But then a drunken reveler would approach me, request for Macarena, and stagger off back onto the dance floor as I cue the song. And when the first bars of the song start blaring (“Tan! Tan! Tan! Tan-tan!”), I forget about feeling sorry for myself. In fact, I forget about myself for the moment and instead focus on the others. And I revel in spreading joy, happiness and temporary insanity… even if for a few hours.